Old June 1 2010, 07:46 AM   #34
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: Apple The New Comics Censors

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Arrqh wrote: View Post
Flash (coming soon)?
Unfortunately, unlike Symbian which is designed for mobile devices, the iPhone OS isn't. Notorious battery killers like Flash aren't going to happen any time soon.
So give people an option to turn Flash off; that's what Android does. It's certainly what I'm planning to do when 2.2 finally gets pushed out.

Installing apps from a source other then the official store?
This is a ticking time bomb for any OS that supports letting apps do whatever they like on a device that can make phone calls.
Hasn't been a problem for Android. To install apps not from the market, you need to go through the menu and turn the option on. A warning pops up telling you the potential hazards and you hit okay. Done.

Being able to customize the OS and swap out built in apps?
It's a phone, not a PC.
On my Android phone, I'm currently using a Home app replacement (LauncherPro) which handles the home screens instead of the build in app. There are several choices available. I'm currently using a keyboard replacement (Swype), though I've also used Smart Keyboard in the past. There are a few others available. There are even 3rd party dialers to choose from, though all the ones I've seen so far are pretty ugly. There are also a myriad of choices for music players available (which is good, because the stock Android player is pretty naff). All on my phone, which isn't a PC.

iPhones are available on at least four different networks here.
That's great; it doesn't help US users. At the moment, the only major US carrier that's lagging behind in Android devices is AT&T... three guesses as to why.

Be able to unlock your phone without being accused of breaking the law?.
All Apple have said is that if you break it in the attempt, it's your fault. That's all.
Actually, no. To unlock an iPhone, you have to jailbreak it. Apple has stated that they believe that jailbreaking an iPhone is a violation of the DMCA and have issued takedown notices to sites that have instructions on how to jailbreak. They have not yet tried to go after individual users. They probably won't, because it isn't worth their time... but this is certainly more then just dropping support. See here.

Have a choice of multiple devices to better suit your specific needs and cost requirements?
You have that choice. Nokia will sell you a phone to suit any need, as will many other handset manufacturers.
Yes, you have that choice if you don't go with the iPhone. That was my point.

Being able to buy apps that Apple hasn't rejected for arbitrary reasons?
Ultimately, it's their store, they are responsible for what is sold on it and they have to ensure that their device plays nice on other people's networks - they have to make sure that their phone doesn't drive down the street with its snow tyres on in the middle of July.
Again, that was my point. The original question I was responding to was "why would you want an Android phone instead of an iPhone." Everything I said in response where things that you can do with an Android device that you cannot with an iPhone. Certainly not everyone will care about these things and I don't expect them too; I do and that's why I went with a Nexus One. If someone prefers the experience and walled garden of the iPhone, then they can go for it. My fundamental point here is that for some people, Android phones represent a better choice for their needs then the iPhone. That's all.