View Single Post
Old May 30 2010, 12:05 PM   #7
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: "Revenant" Questions/Discussion - Spoiler Alert

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
4.) Why in the sam-heck would these people have voluntarily undergone assimilation? There were several points in the story where many of the characters completely reviled being assimilated, and I believe that they even referred to becoming a drone as "worse than death" at some point. I guess they figured that since they had already been infected by nanoprobes, that assimilation was a foregone conclusion. But, I would think that, given their earlier attitudes, they would be more likely to commit suicide, instead of voluntarily submit to assimilation. This confused me greatly.
Well, it's certainly not a perspective I can empathise with. But as I understood it, they saw it as the only possible way to survive. They knew that Starfleet had standing orders to destroy this ship no questions asked. These are not Starfleet officers, they are people who are used to taking chances and wheedling their way out of every situation. I don't think they're the kind of people who would think it was better to die than surrender.
Plus the nanoprobes had already been working on them for some time, and it had been hinted in the story that they had felt their influence subconsciously.

I've just finished the story and was wondering about questions 1 and 2 and whether it can be answered based on the other Borg-related fiction of the recent years, since I haven't read TNG relaunch or Destiny... apparently that's not the case?

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Drizzt wrote: View Post
1.) It was rather vague towards the end of the story, just who it was that put Carson and Walsh up to using the Celtic's crew members as 'test subjects'. Was this left deliberately vague? Are we to infer that this was possibly an experiment undertaken by Section 31? Or, maybe a foreign power?
I considered Section 31 aswell. But then Carson referred to "the Feds," which I didn't think a S31 agent would do since they consider themselves part of the Federation. So I guess not.
I don't think that Carson talking about the "Feds" proves anything. Carson was not a Section 31 agent in the real sense of the word, and not someone who worked for the goals of Section 31, so she wouldn't consider herself a part of the Federation Starfleet (one of the "Feds"). She was a private mercenary who was contracted and paid by someone to do a job, and it was clear that she was only working for the reward and didn't care for her employer.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote