View Single Post
Old May 27 2010, 03:58 PM   #39
mtblillie
Commander

Re: Marines in the SGC?

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
During WWII the Army had over 120,000 ships and watercraft. And even today it has quite a few large vessels.
Admittedly my own ignorance regarding the military is playing against me here. But, if there is a real life precedent for other branches of the US military other than the Navy to have and crew boats, than why are so many upset that the Air Force would crew a starship? In light of what I know now, it seems to me a logical extension of how things are in real life.

That being said, I still think it odd for there to be such a large Army presence on the Korolev, particularly among its bridge officers. For one thing, piloting a starship would probably a job they'd give to a really skilled pilot. Not to slam the Russian Army, but I would think you'd find more more qualified pilots in the Air Force than in the Army. But maybe I'm again out to lunch. My knowledge of military, Russian military at that isn't quite up to par.
Perhaps because all the so called tactics and evasive actions really wouldn't happen at the ranges and speed space combat would happen. For the tactics I've seen by the big ships on Stargate, where the so called ship must stay in the picture frame, the Wraith of Khan tactic rarely comes into effect. The large space craft, which many think must be a Navy ship, might as well be an army tank caught in the open as it uses its armor and tries to hold out until it achieves fire superiority.
I agree, while star trek isnt the only reference to having naval traditions on a space ship, it is that franchise that made that more of a common idea.
It is more likely that the Air Force would run a starship program (that is one reason why I liked Enterprise a lot, it had sort of a NASA/Air Force feel to it, rather than just Navy).

And to clarify, Star Fleet is not a Navy, it just takes on Naval traditions in dealing with starships (comparing the whole big space ship to a big naval ship with similar circumstances; being out in the open frotier).

Also it has always been sci fi thing to have starships being similar to naval ships and having space battles being similar to naval battles. Ships probebly won't fly linearly when they maneuver like a ship does, there is no reason to assume they would. If you ask a scientist today what a space battle would look like they would probebly say that the ships that would fight each other would use the characteristics of space to fight, such as manuevering at angles rather than lines, but then again that isn't very imaginative.