Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Charting the Novel-verse
The Starfleet Corps of Engineers
series (later shorted to Core of Engineers
) was a monthly e-book series focusing on the troubleshooting engineers of the USS DaVinci
developed by Keith R. A, DeCandido and John Ordover.
The series crossed over into the larger novel-verse in any number of ways including (but not limited to)...
Appearances and mentions in other series
- Cold Fusion crossed directly into the post-finale DS9 works, taking place in between Avatar and Section 31: Rogue.
- Here There be Monsters served as an epilogue to the Gateways series that spanned the lit-line.
- Invincible introduced the Nalori, seen later in the Vanguard series.
- The Foundations trilogy introduced the crew of the USS Lovell, who would go on to supporting roles in the Vanguard series.
- War Stories featured the character of Janice Kersarus, from Diane Duane's "Rihannsu-verse" books.
- Ishtar Rising referenced TOS: Twilight's End by Jerry Oltion.
- Ring Around The Sky featured the legacy of The Furys established in the Invasion! mini.
- Small World introduced the Koa, whom joined the Federation in Articles of the Federation.
- Malefictorum, Lost Time, and Wounds book one and two connect with the DS9 fiction circa Worlds of DS9.
- Things Past: Early Distant Warning served as a prologue to the Vanguard series.
- Characters created for SCE that became regulars in other series include Enterprise security chief Christine Vale-- who became a regular in both TNG and Titan lit, Da Vinci security officer Rennan Koyna-- who joined the Enterprise crew in Greater Than the Sum, and Da Vinci engineer Nancy Conlon-- who joined the Voyager crew in Full Circle.
- The crew of the USS Lovell appeared in the Vanguard books Summon the Thunder, Reap the Whirlwind and Open Secrets.
- A young Lieutenant David Gold makes an appearance in Terok Nor: Night of the Wolves.
- A Time to... series makes mention of the DaVinci, her crew, and villains the Androssi in several of the books.
- The Destiny trilogy mentions the crew of the Da Vinci saving a planet from the Borg by making it disappear.
- A Singular Destiny features appearances by Fabian Stevens and Dominica Corsi, as well giving general updates on several of the Da Vinci crew.
- Indistinguishable From Magic featured appearances by Sonya Gomez, Tev and the DaVinci.
- SCE short stories appeared in Tales from the Dominion War "(Field Expediency" by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore) and Tales from the Captains Table ("An Easy Fast" by John Ordover).
Sci's SCE notes...
"COE ties into other novels in numerous ways, including tie-ins to NF and Vulcan's Noun's two seemingly contradictory depictions of Scotty's post-"Relics" life in The Future Begins, and references to the Romulan War-era United Earth President Lydia Littlejohn, the Palais de la Concorde and Zife Administration, and to the events of Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens all in that same entry. Given Prime Directive's contradictory depiction of the Federation Council and Federation President, presumably only the main story of PD is kept (in the same way that you describe the detail of Alyssa's child changing between Genesis Wave and Titan.)"
Steve Mollmann's notes for The Future Begins...
"As far as references in tFB to things that aren't political minutia (but rather other minutia), the Scotty backstory for the book also draws from Michael Jan Friedman's Crossover, Gene DeWeese's Engines of Destiny, Julia Ecklar's The Kobayashi Maru, and Diane Carey's Ship of the Line. Several short stories also factor in, such as "Out of Time" (DC's 1994 TNG special), "Old Debts" (DC's 1995 TNG special), "Dorian's Diary" (SNWIII), "Ancient History" (SNWVI), "Bum Radish: Five Spins on a Turquoise Reindeer" (SNWVI), "Full Circle" (SNWVII), "Safe Harbors" (Tales of the Dominion War), and "Through the Looking Glass" (No Limits). Note however, that "Old Debts" has Scotty meeting Robin Lefler in 2371 (which is inconsistent with the NF: eXcalibur trilogy... and tFB itself!) and that "Full Circle" got a sequel in SNW09 that is inconsistent with tFB. It also references ideas originally put forth in Spectre, which is of course part of the "Shatnerverse" continuity. And "Out of Time" and "Ancient History" are mutually inconsistent.
tFB also has off-handed references to a number of other stories, usually in the form of alien species or planets. These include the Blood from the New Earth miniseries, the Azziz from "The Music Between the Notes" (in The Lives of Dax), Xaraka XII and galaxy Telpha-Z from the Gold Key comics, the Hamalki and the Deirr from Diane Duane's various novels, Mythra from Mission to Horatius, and the Withiki from the oft-referenced The Final Reflection. Among others. Other references include Dana Kramer-Rolls's Home is the Hunter, L.A. Graf's Traitor Winds, the Pellegrino/Zebrowski Dyson Sphere, Brad Ferguson's Crisis on Centaurus, the fanon technical manual Starfleet Prototype, and the Unlimited comic story "None but the Brave".
Of course, referencing the Gold Key comics is infinitely problematic. Traitor Winds ties into the various other "Lost Years" stories: The Lost Years, A Flag Full of Stars, and Recovery. Kirk's home on Crisis on Centaurus is brought up again in Time for Yesterday.
The Eugenics Wars gives a description for the Khanate's flag that is borrowed from Section 31: Abyss. It also references the Dayton Ward short story "The Aliens are Coming!" in one of the early SNW volumes. Conversely, A Time to Sow referenced a Greg Cox short story, "Bedside Matters" in The Amazing Stories.
Christopher L. Bennett's annotations for Aftermath...
Steve Mollmann's annotations for The Future Begins...
Keith R.A. DeCandido's annotations for Many Splendors...
The SCE/CoE series...
Star Trek: The Starfleet Corps of Engineers
Star Trek: Corps of Engineers
- The Belly of the Beast by Dean Wesley Smith
- Fatal Error by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Hard Crash by Christie Golden
- Interphase, Book One by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Interphase, Book Two by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Cold Fusion by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Invincible, Part One of Two by David Mack & Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Invincible, Part Two of Two by David Mack & Keith R.A. DeCandido
- The Riddled Post by Aaron Rosenberg
- Gateways Epilogue: Here There Be Monsters by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Ambush by Dave Galanter & Greg Brodeur
- Some Assembly Required by Scott Ciencin & Dan Jolley
- No Surrender by Jeff Mariotte
- Caveat Emptor by Ian Edginton & Mike Collins
- Past Life by Robert Greenberger
- Oaths by Glenn Hauman
- Foundations, Book One by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Foundations, Book Two by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Foundations, Book Three by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Enigma Ship by J. Steven York & Christina F. York
- War Stories, Book One by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- War Stories, Book Two by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Wildfire, Book One by David Mack
- Wildfire, Book Two by David Mack
- Home Fires by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Age of Unreason by Scott Ciencin
- Balance of Nature by Heather Jarman
- Breakdowns by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Aftermath by Christopher L. Bennett
- Ishtar Rising, Book One by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
- Ishtar Rising, Book Two by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
- Buying Time by Robert Greenberger
- Collective Hindsight, Book One by Aaron Rosenberg
- Collective Hindsight, Book Two by Aaron Rosenberg
- The Demon, Book 1 of 2 by Loren L. Coleman & Randall N. Bills
- The Demon, Book 2 of 2 by Loren L. Coleman & Randall N. Bills
- Ring Around the Sky by Allyn Gibson
- Orphans by Kevin Killiany
- Grand Designs by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- Failsafe by David Mack
- Bitter Medicine by Dave Galanter
- Sargasso Sector by Paul Kupperberg
- Paradise Interrupted by John S. Drew
- Where Time Stands Still by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- The Art of the Deal by Glenn Greenberg
- Spin by J. Steven York & Christina F. York
- Creative Couplings, Book 1 of 2 by Glenn Hauman & Aaron Rosenberg
- Creative Couplings, Book 2 of 2 by Glenn Hauman & Aaron Rosenberg
- Small World by David Mack
- Malefictorum by Terri Osborne
- Lost Time by Ilsa J. Bick
- Identity Crisis by John J. Ordover
- Fables of the Prime Directive by Cory Rushton
- Security by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Wounds, Book 1 of 2 by Ilsa J. Bick
- Wounds, Book 2 of 2 by Ilsa J. Bick
- Out of the Cocoon by William Leisne
- Honor by Kevin Killiany
- Blackout by Phaedra M. Weldon
- The Cleanup by Robert T. Jeschonek
- Progress by Terri Osborne
- The Future Begins by Steve Mollmann & Michael Schuster
- Echoes of Coventry by Richard C. White
- Distant Early Warning by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- 10 is Better Than 01 by Heather Jarman
- Many Splendors by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Turn the Page, by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
- Troubleshooting, by Robert Greenberger
- The Light, by Jeff D. Jacques
- The Art of the Comeback, by Glenn Greenberg
- Signs from Heaven, by Phaedra M. Weldon
- Ghost, by Ilsa J. Bick
- Remembrance of Things Past, Book 1, by Terri Osborne
- Remembrance of Things Past, Book 2, by Terri Osborne
"I hate having thoughts right on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide."
Last edited by Rosalind; November 21 2012 at 04:56 AM.