View Single Post
Old May 24 2010, 02:33 PM   #99
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: How do Niners feel about TNG?

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
In one episode of DS9, Doctor Bashir, I Presume, Starfleet exercises legal authority over the crimes of a civilian, Richard Bashir. The military operates civilian courts?
That's a problem with a lot of Star Trek, I didn't even realise there was a difference between Starfleet and the Federation until I was around 13 because of this.
That's one of my major problems with all of Trek - there's next to no attempt to define what the structure of the Federation is? Is it a constitutional republic? What's the relationship of the UFP President to the Federation Council? Is it similar to the U.S. system, or is it more of a parlimentary-based government?

For that matter, there's also really no attempt to define what the organization of Starfleet is beyond the level of the individual ship/station. Who exactly do the captains respond to in the chain of command? (At one time they answer to whatever rank of admiral is present for the episode. At another, they answer to the highest possible ranking officer, a Fleet Admiral. At other times, most notably in DS9, they answer to a Vice Admiral. It appears that Ross is Sisko's direct superior. Shouldn't a One-Star Rear Admiral be his immediate superior?) How it Starfleet organized in terms of it's upper echelons?

In your ENT review thread you said how you would have liked to see an episode in the third season based on Earth - showing how the public was preparing for the possible destruction of Earth. I would have loved to see something like that on any of the shows. For instance, how about showing how the Federation government decided to formally declare war on the Dominion?

I wholeheartedly apologise that I am the cause of you watching Infection.
Infection was pretty bad. However, I have to say that Soul Hunter was the worst of the season, IMO. And that comes from a guy who believes in souls.

For me, Soul Hunter would get a 0 and Infection would get *.