View Single Post
Old May 23 2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Aslan ch'Shran wrote: View Post
I agree that it was underrated but the movie was still horrible.

There are many reasons for it, especially the bad writing and bad characters. The primary example are is the Klingon bird of prey and her crew - the two new "Klingon adversaries" weren't even really adversaries, and they both were horrible actors and their parts were completely pointless except for the fact that someone decided that they HAD to be at Sha'Ka'Ree to shoot the God-like being out of the sky.

Another huge offender was the Uhura dance number. What? They a) couldn't think of ANYTHING else? This is Captain Kirk for Christ's sake! and b) 10 grown men actually fell for it.

A third offender WAS the humor. It was good but at too many places it felt pushed too hard, almost like they were trying to make a comedy as opposed to a Star Trek movie.
Completely agreeing with SBK. The humor thing is explained in commentaries and such. After STIV, Shat was told "be more funny like the whale movie" and so humor had to be shoehorned in. From what I remember, Shat wanted a much darker, much more serious movie.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote