View Single Post
Old May 22 2010, 02:48 PM   #265
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Where did Spock go?

elton wrote: View Post
Refusing to obsess over it to the level that you do does not demean it. It's a good television show. However, even good television shows do not matter. Star Trek 09 also does not matter. It's a movie.
I don't understand why people have a problem with this.

Keeping entertainment in perspective doesn't "demean" or belittle it. Frankly, asking something like Star Trek to bear the burden of too much importance has not often been good for the quality of the shows and movies.

The people making TOS did the very best job they could, every week, and moved on to the next show. It's hard to imagine that any of them would have been comfortable with the notion of people treating it as a holy artifact fifty years later.

I went to order new checks yesterday and discovered that one of my choices was "I Love Lucy" - you know, five different iconic images of Lucille Ball from memorable episodes. I didn't order those, but I smiled - that show, that character are as beloved and well known today as they ever were. I certainly hope that there are no Lucy message boards inhabited by people sniping over whether those who also enjoyed "The Lucy Show" are gullible simpletons who've had the wool pulled over their eyes, etc. etc...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote