View Single Post
Old May 22 2010, 11:43 AM   #257
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Where did Spock go?

elton wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
And when ST09 is a largely forgotten project from many summers past TOS will still be there as the one that still matters.
"Matters"? To who?

I badly want to say "get a life" right now. Wait... I just did.

In what way is this 60's television show going to "matter" to anyone but incredibly bitter fanatics like you?

The original Star Trek show does not and will not "matter" to anyone other than those who follow it a little too obsessively. Ditto with the spin-offs, the movies that followed it, and the new Star Trek movie.

They're all equal in this regard: They do not matter, people do not care. 99% of people do not care about the new Star Trek film anymore than they care about The Dark Knight at this point. Which, I would imagine, is probably still more than they care for 60's Star Trek.

Why? It's a television show, therefore not worth the effort.
TOS inspired a lot of viewers and was assimilated into the broader collective consciousness. It is a visual document and a glimpse into another time. It shows how some ideas and concepts are timeless and universal. And it is immediately recognizable in many respects. Future generations will see that just as successive generations of viewers have. Yes, it's a television show, but if it didn't matter on some level we wouldn't be here debating it after forty years.

ST09 will be just another barely remembered summer flick with no depth or redeeming value other than a waste of two hours you'll never get back.

I always marvel at those who profess to like something yet never miss a chance to demean it. It is a very recognizable behaviour of what's known as a self loathing fan.