View Single Post
Old May 20 2010, 11:14 PM   #57
flemm
Fleet Captain

Re: How do Niners feel about TNG?

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Over the years, I have heard a lot of Trek fans (particularly TNG and VOY fans, but others also) bitch about how certain aspects of DS9 (particularly the darker parts, the war, etc) were 'not in keeping with Gene Roddenberry's vision' and are therefore abhorrent on their face.
I do still hear that sometimes, but to be fair, a lot of Trek fans seem to recognize that DS9 is much closer to TOS in spirit as far as character interactions are concerned, and in its portrayal of space as the frontier. So, both opinions are out there and, in a sense, I think both are true.

DS9 is closer to TOS in certain important respects, but no doubt further from the original premise of the five year mission than other Trek series. That combination is one of the things that makes it great. DS9 takes many of the best aspects of the original Trek idea, turns other aspects inside out, and adds additional layers of character and story development.

As for the new movie, I'm most grateful that they ditched some of the TNG-era stuffiness that continued to plague DS9 as well, especially the lack of musical variety. Modern Trek shows could have done so much with music, yet they are all incredibly bland from that point of view.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote