View Single Post
Old May 20 2010, 03:12 AM   #73
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

I've just been watching the video history of Power Rangers at Atop the Fourth Wall. http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/search/label/HOPR
It's interesting stuff, particularly the sincere affection with which he approaches Bulk & Skull. But so far, the funniest part of his review is the fever pitch to which his ranting ascends at the end of Part 1 of his Turbo review, pointing out all of the absurdities of the early series, like Lt. Stone taking over Ernie's Juice Bar, incompetant Elgar getting all sorts of important assignments, Divatox's easily defused detonators, Alpha 6's jive-ass voice, and Demetria's infuriating only-talks-in-questions quirk.

EDIT: Although, I do have to vehemently disagree with him about Divatox. True, she's not as menacing as Lord Zedd or even King Mondo, but she was a hell of a lot more interesting than the Machine Empire. Turbo has an element of comfortable resignation to it. While the villains lacked menace, I don't think the show really wanted them to be menacing. It's like they said, "You know what, we've been on the air for 5 years now. Our viewers know what the formula is. They know that, outside of the occasional apocalyptic 2-parter, the bad guys will never win. And considering the monsters-of-the-week are the only ones that do any fighting, we need to do something different with the big bad to make her interesting." Scenery chewing is such an important part of melodrama, and Divatox could chew scenery like nobody's business. Plus, when done right, if you usually play a villain for laughs, it can make them that much more frightening when they do start accomplishing some hardcore villainy. (I feel the same way about Gene Hackman's portrayal of Lex Luthor in Superman: The Movie.)

Last edited by The Borgified Corpse; May 20 2010 at 03:41 AM.
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote