View Single Post
Old May 19 2010, 10:49 PM   #69
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

While I can understand not wanting to show people dying on an American kids show, I was always annoyed when they would say "destroy" instead of "kill." I admit, I was somewhat older than the show's target audience, but still, on a show that's all about ninjas & monsters kicking the crap out of each other, you'd think that the monsters' intentions to kill the Power Rangers would be so obvious that even the youngest viewers could understand them. So many kids shows are about one character putting another character in mortal danger. What about Tom & Jerry, Sylvester & Tweety, Wile E. Coyote & the Roadrunner?

While ABC is cancelling Power Rangers, what about the original Japanese source material? Are they still making Sentai series in Japan?

Random musings & memories about the toys:

I wish they did action figures of the Rangers in their civilian clothes. Micro Machines did tiny civilian versions of the original Rangers. Then there were the auto-Morphin' Rangers that had them in costume but without their helmets. But they never did regular 5" figures of the Rangers in their civilian clothes and they even stopped doing the auto-Morphin' figures after Turbo.

Ban-Dai was also really bad about doing action figures for the big bads. They never did a 5" Rita Repulsa, even though they had 5" figures of Lord Zedd, Goldar, Rito Revolto, & Master Vile. I think they did do a 5" Divatox but she was really hard to find. I don't think they ever did a 5" Astronema. And other than the Cogs, they never did any of the regular villains from Zeo--no King Mondo, Queen Machina, Prince Sprocket, Clank, Orbus, Prince Gasket, or Archerina. The only Zeo bad guys they did were random monsters of the week.

In a way, it was apt that, in "Forever Red," the surviving generals of the Machine Empire were mostly reused Beetleborgs costumes. Since they never did any 5" figures of the regular Zeo bad guys, we always used to use Beetleborgs as the big bads during that era (or occasionally characters from Spawn). (I think, at one point, we even had Billy go dark side, and become the new leader of the Machine Empire.)