View Single Post
Old May 18 2010, 06:50 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Re: Re-branding Smallville as a Superman show (spoilers up to S9 final

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
See that's where I'd argue. It's not about how Clark Kent becomes Superman at all. There is no real sense of Clark evolving towards a life as a public superhero, there's just "the adventures of a superpowered young man" and meanwhile they've used every stand by of the Superman mythos to spin Superman stories.
The past two years have been all about Clark's evolution toward being a superhero. He already is a superhero who's famous and admired by the public. And this season we've seen him assuming a leadership role in the superhero community.

The nods to the costume are the entire presence of the traditional Superman identity within the show - heavily reimagined to be sure, but there's nothing missing except for the public presence of a superhero named Superman. You can certainly argue that this means it cannot ever be a true treatment of the Superman mythos but I'd simply respond it is Superman in all but name and tights.
Wait a minute, first you were saying it wasn't about Clark becoming Superman and now you're saying that it is about Clark effectively being Superman? Aren't those contradictory positions?

And really, when you approach it that way - it's a far less frustrating experience, and a somewhat more interesting interpretation than any traditional Superboy or Superman series could ever have been. That is, if you forget the largely terrible writing.
The largely terrible writing ended when Millar & Gough left the show two years ago. It's gotten much better since then, though Chloe is still saddled with some of the worst attempts at faux-Whedonesque witty dialogue ever written.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote