View Single Post
Old May 18 2010, 02:41 PM   #16
starsuperion
Captain

Re: The Tardis Exterior Final Designs Thread

Venardhi wrote: View Post
My only problem is the size. You've made it quite small in comparison to my mental image of a vast city-sized ship that one could easily get lost in.
The problem with this site we are currently on is that if you modify an image and try to go back and edit a post, there seems to be a time limit..

below is a revised scale sheet showing the Tardis and the Abrams Enterprise..

hmmmm.. maybe a top view would convey a better scale?

The best place to get the "up to date" Tardis designs and download them is on my deviant art site..

But here, I have reloaded the current images..these are the final versions..

http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/

but as far as size goes.. this comparison of the Tardis and the Newer Enterprise is a great example of the massiveness of the Tardis.. it's quite large, and if you think about the fact that the ship itself is spread out and is only piloted by 1 person.. think of all the space within that ship..

now, if you go by the episode of doctor who, Castrovalva.. The doctor and Adric ended up deep within the tardis in a matter of hours.. as apposed to days...so by that measure, and the multiple resources I have researched, I think that this final scale and size is about right.. now a tardis can add more Dome sections.. which house thousands of rooms and deck levels..but I think that most of the Doctor's ship is just about the size I have given it.. think about how in the classic series he had to jettison several rooms just to get a boost in power.. it seems to me that the Doctor's Tardis has to be a smaller size, considering the cost of power to maintain itself..and the fact he has to jettison sections to up his level of power in flight..

anyways.. in the size comparison to the USS Enterprise.. think of how large the Bridge is, and the saucer section with all those quarters, rooms, and departments, and decks.. then add that to just the smaller domes on the Tardis, and compare. then take a look at the observation towers, and you will notice the scale of the ship is quite massive..

By my measure, the Tardis at it's width, is 2,550 feet
and at it's tallest Habitable areas it is 750 Feet..
1,650 Feet Tall Total..

2550 feet = 777.24 meters, so I am a bit off in my ship chart scale below:

the official description from the novel "deceit" which describes an exterior view of the tardis by Ace from one of the observation towers said the Corinthian type columns of the Tardis were atleast 100 to 150 feet in diameter.. so that is another source for the size I used in the design of the Tardis..

At the very least I'd think 2 or 3x the size. You could also do a lot more with the look of the default shell than a plain box. Give it a bit of that Timelordiness the rest of it exudes. Otherwise I love it, and it has been a pleasure to watch it evolve. Huge improvements all around.
The Plain box is all that i have ever seen of the default look of the ships.. even in the Marvel comics Doctor who from back in the day.. check issue no. 4, 2nd story in the back which was set on Gallifrey.. it was a box..of a different type of opening. I hear what your saying though, the ornate design of the tardis kinda begs for the default exterior to look more comparable.. however much of my work is artistic license, but it is all based on all of the referenced descriptions I have seen or read.. which is why the exterior of it has to remain a plain box, cause that is how the series to date has depicted it..

I really did base all of this on what we know..

On a side note, thanks for the compliment

26138 wrote: View Post
My only problem is the size. You've made it quite small in comparison to my mental image of a vast city-sized ship that one could easily get lost in. At the very least I'd think 2 or 3x the size. You could also do a lot more with the look of the default shell than a plain box. Give it a bit of that Timelordiness the rest of it exudes. Otherwise I love it, and it has been a pleasure to watch it evolve. Huge improvements all around.
I do agree that the TARDIS seems that it should be "bigger-er" on the inside. However, I must disagree about the exterior. The "plain box" is what the TARDIS is theorized to look like without the chameleon circuit active. Reference is The War Games. You can see a row of SIDRATs or TARDISs (not sure which one they are) in this clip from that serial. They're in the rear of the first shot of the clip when Jamie and Zoe are talking to the time lord. Jamie and Zoe also enter one at around 3 minutes into the clip. Here's a picture of a SIDRAT from that serial:

this is the exact source.. you are completely correct..

as for the size of the Tardis.. please refer to the top side explanation.. I made corrections to the size in the final deviant art images, and I re-uploaded my Imageshack versions for you guys to see the new scale.. the Tardis is massive, IMHO, but If you imagine for a moment, from the new images I have submitted here.. the sheer size of the ship compared to the enterprise and the fact that a football field is at best 200 feet.. then you can see how massive this ship truly is, considering the smallest dome section is 200 feet in diameter..

lets consider another fact, the Type 40 Tardis had 305 versions made..

now consider that as the Time lords progressed they made a 45th type, a 70 Type, and so on.. and each type probably had 305 renditions made..so it just seems to me that it would take much longer to make 305 ships the size of a city then to make the 305 ships the size of 2,550 feet long, by 1,650 feet tall..I do think though, that the Tardis type 41, 42, 43, etc.. were probably only 1 or 2 made, and that when the Time Lords decided to mass produce a series, it was because they had the best version at that tiime, which is why some of the Tardis we see int he series are either 40, 45, or 70 types..and not a type 42, 43, etc..

now I am sure the tardis ships can create more deck sections and expand beyond what I have done here.. but like I said, consider the episodes of logopolis, castrovalva, the invasion of time, and the novel "deceit.." and the 1996 movie.. which gave the impression the cloister room was far away, but not too far..
So my point of view is the Tardis is massive.. but not too massive, and is very spacious considering there aren't a lot of crew quarters crammed into one space..like an enterprise ship..

Last edited by starsuperion; May 18 2010 at 04:05 PM.
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote