View Single Post
Old May 17 2010, 01:06 AM   #2
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Re-branding Smallville as a Superman show (spoilers up to S9 final

I think some of the problems with that is Warner Bros. would probably not allow Smallville to be re-branded as a Superman show -- I think if that were to happen, it would have happened five years ago. WB wants the best of both worlds -- they want their Superman show, but without Superman, and they want their Superman movie franchise, with Superman, because it is more lucrative.

I think so long as WB wishes to continue making Superman movies, Superman on the small screen is going to get short-sighted like it has been for the past ten seasons. Plus, as you mentioned, with the rumblings over a potential new Superman reboot under the guise of Christopher Nolan, I really doubt we'll be seeing Tom Welling don the Superman suit anytime soon. I think WB will try and drain Smallville for all its worth, even with rumors of next season being the last, and basically tease us periodically like they have been doing. I don't see how anything will change.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the biggest "reveal" we'll see in terms of actually witnessing Tom Welling as Superman is going to be a really tiny reveal at the very end of the very last episode, and that will be it. I think it will leave fans generally disappointed, and overall honestly will leave fans with a bad taste in their mouths, and an overall bad opinion of the show when all is said and done. I just don't see how things can be rectified or turned around at this point. After ten years, Smallville has fans pretty conditioned to be constantly disappointed.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote