View Single Post
Old May 15 2010, 12:36 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Re: Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
BTW, what did you mean by, "It was dark, but it was also funny, with great witty dialogue (Guzelian has a knack for it) and hilarious, biting deconstructions of longstanding Power Rangers tropes. Yet even as the show made fun of PR conventions, it simultaneously managed to concoct almost plausible-sounding scientific explanations for them — reconstructing even as it deconstructed"? What kind of conventions did it deconstruct?
Everything. Every cliche of the previous fifteen years of Power Rangers. The multicolored costumes, the transformation phrases, the animalistic giant robot vehicles, every trope and silly stylistic gimmick you can think of. The most brilliant and hilarious example was an episode that made use of the gimmick of having random explosions go off behind the Rangers when they transform and pose. They rationalized it as a release of excess energy from the transformation process. And then, when the other Rangers were menaced by the monster of the week, the Blue Ranger figured out he could use this effect -- by transforming with his back to the monster!!

- Of course, Amy Jo Johnson has clearly had the most success of any of them, landing regular roles on Felicity & Flashpoint.
And some movies too, including a TV movie with the very apt title of Perfect Body (about bulimia or anorexia, but with a ton of AJ gymnastics).

- Walter Jones has had a decent career of supporting roles and guest roles on various TV shows & B movies. His biggest post-Ranger role was on the Nickelodeon sci-fi series Space Cases (many episodes of which were written by Peter David and Bill Mumy and occasionally featured a pre-Firefly Jewell Staite). He also had a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo on Buffy the Vampire Slayer as one of the frat boys throwing the Halloween party in "Fear Itself."
I think he did a CSI episode once. Of course, Archie Kao, the Lost Galaxy Blue Ranger, has been one of the CSI Lab Rats for many years now. Several other former PR cast members, including Hilary Shepherd Turner, have done CSI guest spots. It's odd, since they don't have any casting directors or producers in common.

- Patricia Ja Lee has been doing more anime voice over work it seems.
As has Johnny Yong Bosch, who's one of the leading anime dub artists in the field.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I'm not entirely sure I'd call her the best villain ever. I've still got a soft spot for ol' Lord Zedd.
Sure, Zedd was fun, but Divatox was sexier.