View Single Post
Old May 13 2010, 12:49 PM   #51
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
I already stated the easiest way for him to return to his original universe: Travel back to right before Nero arrived. Close the rift and/or blow up Nero's ship. This makes the 'new' timeline pretty much identical to the old one. Only difference would be that the Kelvin noted an electrical storm in space, but it quickly dissipated without an apparent cause. On to next adventure...

Now you're on the right timeline, and Spock knows a million ways to get back to his time. Slingshot, Guardian, etc. Only reason he didn't do this is because they didn't WANT to reset the timeline, they wanted it left alone for future movies. Not really any "in-universe" explanation that makes sense, they've fixed worse problems before.
Once again: Spock didn't have the right. Kirk's entire life has been defined by Nero's tampering. You can't just say "I'm gonna effectively kill you and replace you with William Shatner", and undo 25 years of everyone's lives. It's wrong.
And 6 billion Vulcans, who would have otherwise lived for 100 years and longer, have been killed by Nero. I'd say that outweighs anything else.