View Single Post
Old May 10 2010, 02:28 PM   #35
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Re: Are you a Blu-Ray & 3D skeptic?

I've got no problem with Blu-Ray as it is a direct upgrade over DVD. I can't stand people who go on about how everything should be in "HD" and how "HD" is some amazing technology; guess what, it isn't. Good computer monitors have been doing the same resolutions since forever, the only reason that "HD" resolutions are being put into widespread use now is that there is now affordable, compact, idiot-proof media with enough capacity to store decent amounts of video at that resolution, and that's prompted TV manufacturers to bring television displays into the 21st century which has in turn prompted cable/satellite providers to introduce "HD" services to take advantage of people with these "new" TVs. Higher resolution is almost universally an improvement, but the "HD" enthusiasts acting like it's the most amazing thing since sliced bread who probably run their computer monitors at 1024x768 still just irritate me to hell.

3D on the other hand is an entirely subjective thing, and I personally think it's a pointless gimmick. Movies aren't supposed to be like theme park attractions.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote