View Single Post
Old May 10 2010, 02:07 PM   #32
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: Are you a Blu-Ray & 3D skeptic?

On the contrary, I'm in love with blu-ray. I have acquired about 200 blu-ray discs ever since I got myself a player, which was about a year ago. I used to be into dvd collecting, but high definition has added a whole new dimension tot the experience of watching films. I think I've watched as little as five dvds this past year.

People who see little difference between dvd and blu-ray need to have their eyes examined. It's true that there are some sub-standard bluray transfers on the market, but the vast majority of titles offer an impressive video and audio upgrade over its dvd counterpart. As a fan of the entirety of motion picture history, I am thrilled to see titles from all eras such as F.W. Murnau's Sunrise (1927), John Ford's The Searchers (1956), and Bernando Bertolucci The Last Emperor look absolutely stunning in high definition.

I recently got the classic British tv series The Prisoner on blu-ray and I was floored by the pristine picture quality.

After the dark years of VHS, DVD was a groundbreaking format that offered original aspect ratio, lots of bonus material and superior video & audio. While the improvement upon dvd may not be as radical, blu-ray is the format I've been waiting for my whole life. In the face of digital downloads and streaming, this will most likely be the last physical format. Nevertheless I hope it will be around for a long while.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote