View Single Post
Old May 8 2010, 12:51 AM   #71
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun
Re: Is there a lack of creativity in NuBSG Costumes and culture Lack

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
I get what RDM was trying to do, for both stylistic and budgetary reasons, but personally, I would have nudged it just a teeny tiny bit farther away from recognizable 21st century fashion. Personally I kind of liked Baltar's suit in the miniseries (although I wouldn't want everybody to wear theirs quite that tight.) There are other little cultural things that don't quite gel with his explanation, either, but I can't really discuss them without getting into heavy spoiler territory.
Exactly my feelings on the matter. Parallels are okay, exact copies just feel wrong. I'll have to watch the miniseries again to see how I feel about Baltars suit, about I seem to recall I thought it was okay. It was the Presidential staff suits I thought broke the vision for me.

I haven't gotten much further than halfway through the first series as I was away April, so I can't say that I have any experience of the deeper cultural traits of the show. What I saw of the religion was pretty lame, but then I thought the Minbari religious practices were badly realised in B5, the G'Qon ceremony for all its much smaller segment and less relevance was far better, I hear even some groups are using G'Kars words in their rites.