View Single Post
Old May 7 2010, 04:42 AM   #253
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

Rojixus wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Rojixus wrote: View Post
In I Borg, no one even mentioned the possibility that the weapon wouldn't work. How is it that you know more about the Borg than Geordi Laforge or Jean-Luc Picard? They didn't think their use of the weapon would "provoke" the Borg, why do you? What makes you such an authority of the Borg? Once again, IF YOU HAVE A WEAPON THAT COULD DESTROY AN ENEMY HELL-BENT ON DESTROYING YOUR CIVILIZATION, YOU ARE MORALLY OBLIGATED TO USE IT!

I've heard what Anwar thinks, is there anyone else who disagrees with the above sentiment?
I most definitely disagree.

I know my own personal code isn't perfect, but I believe in moral absolutes. There are certain things that you just don't do. Forcing a sentient being to become a vehicle for mass murder is one of these things. I don't care what's at stake - nothing would have justified using Hugh in that way. Hugh was an individual with innate rights and freedoms. He wasn't a drone - not anymore. As I said, the mere fact that it is possible to liberate a drone from the collective is proof that eradicating all Borg *is* genocide. And that is unacceptable under any circumstances. (Just ask Icheb. He was used in exactly the same way - his family bred him to contain a lethal virus that would have destroyed all Borg. That was genocide and so is this. )

Any culture which resorts to genocide does not deserve to exist. How could the Federation have lived with itself, with the knowledge that it had to destroy an entire race in order to survive? As I said, that's something that is just not done by civilized beings.

The moral thing to do is always the right thing to do, but it may not be the easiest thing to do.
Picard's actions in Star Trek: First Contact indicate that being assimilated is worse than death. Are you telling me that you would rather condemn billions of innocent people to a fate worse than death than do whatever needs to be done to destroy the Borg? They are mindless automatons for God's sake. The possibility of liberating every last individual from the collective is virtually impossible. (Perhaps you would be more willing to use the weapon in I Borg if it simply disconnected all drones from the collective.)
Losing individuality may certainly make one think that...however, do you think Picard wants to take back his rescue, and subsequent life after assimilation? I think not..

RAMA