View Single Post
Old May 5 2010, 11:44 PM   #46
Sector 7
Vice Admiral
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Wearing Starfleet Uniform Out in Public - Help

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Playing sports versus watching it is totally different. But I do realize that playing sports can be beneficial. I just don't think that watching sports is all that advantageous.
I hate playing - and even watching - sport, but many, many people find role models amongst their sporting heroes.
Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Then they should look at how they live. And not at how they throw a ball as the defining thing for them to cheer over.

In other words: most of the time, fans of famous sports players seem to care more about how well they play versus how they live their life.

Sure, Star Trek is fictional and should be put in perspective as a piece of fiction, but it at least teaches us about positive morals and lessons in life. It also makes us think about how things could be if we were to imagine greater. It even engages our minds in the scientific possibilities of life, too.
Then we should also closely examine Trek actors and how they live their lives. If the actor is not a good role model, then we should not use the characters they play as role models. Players and actors have much in common. Both play a role: one as a performer on a field of competition; the other as a performer on a stage or screen. As an adult, I have learned to tell the difference between part played and person playing the part.
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote