View Single Post
Old May 5 2010, 01:25 PM   #49
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius--The Desolate Vigil

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I've always had the feeling that his leadership style is not traditional, anyway, and sometimes an outsider might not even recognize it for what it was. His style is more collaborative, a servant leader, and more stereotypically feminine.
I understand what you mean, and I also find it interesting that, implicitly, Cardassians recognise that more "feminine" style of leadership in a way humans traditionally have not. Is that a result of their hightened "pack" instinct, that they "know" their position in relation to others without needing to prove or demonstrate it, and therefore feel comfortable with an "integrated" leadership style rather than the distanced, watch-your-back alpha-leader style human males have typically graviated to?

Of course, the culture the canon Cardassians have assumed makes them considerably more human-like in that fashion, I imagine (particularly as the military is often described as, essentially, a patriarchy, with elder men climbing to the highest positions and flexing their power?) The greater flexibility in leadership styles is more in evident in the AU?