View Single Post
Old May 4 2010, 04:21 PM   #237
Praxius
Fleet Captain

Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Praxius, "in 'I, Borg', PICARD DID COMMIT GENOCIDE!

Picard had a chance to stop the borg and he didn't use it, knowing that the borg are and will continue to kill BILLIONS, in an orgy of violence, death and suffering beyond comprehension...
I think that's a bit of a stretch. First, you can not blame Picard for the actions the Borg did or didn't take. Each of us are responsible for our own actions. Picard may be responsible for the decision not to wipe out the Borg, but he is not responsible for the actions the Borg have conducted for centuries past or to come.

Secondly, the Borg assimilate and only kill when they have to.... they do not actually commit genocide.

The people, species, knowledge, history, etc. all exist in a manner of speaking, within the collective.

So to use the term "Genocide" the way you did, and to use such a strong word towards Picard for actions he never took is a bit short sighted in my opinion.

Picard either used the weapon against the borg (using Hugh), destroying the hive mind, or he didn't, in which case he, too, is responsible for the death of BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS at the hands of the borg.
I disagree with that analogy. If that were indeed true and one person could be directly blamed for the crimes of another by not "Stopping" them, then I'm sure plenty of people, countries and governments would all be equally guilty for what occurred in WWII and other atrocities.

It is an unfair and illogical approach to directly blame Picard for the actions the Borg did or didn't take.

Basically based on your argument, Picard had two choices.... directly cause Genocide by his own actions and hands.... or indirectly be involved in the actions of another who commits genocide..... but since the Borg don't really Genocide, but assimilate, there is only one case of genocide that would exist, which would be Picard sending the virus through the collective, which means the trillions of lives he'd kill in the collective would be on his head..... and I don't think I'd personally ask anybody to make that decision and live with it.

One can only choose the 'lesser evil' in this situation; there's no moral, 'white' choice.

Picard allowed the borg to endure, staining his hands with the blood of BILLIONS. Picard choose 'the GREATER evil', by far.

And why did Picard do this?
He did it in order to delude himself that, even in this situation, he made the perfectly moral, 'white' choice. So he took the choice that had the APPARENCE of being 'white', moral.
Hindsight 20/20 afterall.... it's easy to finger point at the decisions one makes after the fact, but at the time, it was reasonable to believe that sending the borg back as he was would cause enough destabilization in the collective to not only make the Borg no longer a legit threat, but also give those captured a chance to have individuality and fight for it like the Enterprise crew did for him while he was Locutus.

It was either that, or directly be responsible for countless deaths across the galaxy, ie: all the borg..... and when it comes to a decision like that, it should be up to the individual to decide what's the right choice for them.... which one they could live with.

As for the BILLIONS the borg continued to kill, well, if Picard didn't have to see their faces as they died, he can keep telling himself they're not his problem, that their blood is not staining his hands, too."
I'm not about to dictate what someone else may or may not think or tell themselves to justify an action. You have your view on what you would have done, I have mine.... and Picard had his.

I may never have seen all their faces if I made the decision, but that would be irrelevant.... the fact that I would have been directly responsible for the deaths of trillions of lives (across different quadrants of the galaxy overall) Your justifications would not suit as my justifications.

About 'alternatives' - in the episode it was pretty clearly established that the paradox was the only weapon with realistic chances of working:
"Consider the crew's attitude towards this 'individuality' weapon - a jaded it 'may' do something.
Compare it with their certainty that the paradox will work.

The individuality attack was a long shot, had very low chances of succes.
Enterprises' crew knew that - and they were proven right by the individuality attack's failure to even scrarch the collective - only 1 ship affected out of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF CUBES the collective has? It didn't even slow down the borg!"
Hindsight 20/20 again, yeah.... whoops... live and learn.

But there's no assurance that the virus would have worked either. Sure the crew was convinced it'd work, but the crew also thought using the deflector dish as a weapon would destroy the borg cube in the Best of Both Worlds.

I doubt the Borg never encountered viruses and other programs sent into their collective to destroy them, and I bet like our computers we're typing and reading all this on, once the virus went into the system, they'd detect the foreign program and remove it... thus the whole effort would have been pointless.

And if it would have worked, it begs the question, why didn't Janeway use a similar program to defeat the Borg in Voyager?

Last edited by Praxius; May 4 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote