View Single Post
Old May 3 2010, 06:45 PM   #212
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Your post demonstrates you didn't bother to read most of my posts in the ~"Is genocide justified" thread.

So, you assume I haven't read your thread...just because I didn't reply the way you wanted to?

First - commiting genocide against non-combatants (such as the founders or Hiroshima/Nagasaki) is ALWAYS wrong - immoral, useless, unnecessary.
Were the Founders non-combattants? They were the rulers of the Jem'Hadar--the head of the serpent. Testify, please:

If the enemy (his army which you haven't touched) is stronger than you, he'll make you pay dearly for your crime - in blood.
Not if he's dead.

If the enemy is far weaker than you - your genocide us completely gratuitous - you have many other optionns to deal with said enemy.
Good point--except none of us have discussed that.

Second - what about an enemy army?
If this enemy army attacks you with genocidal intentions (such as the borg or Alpha Quadrant jem'hadar) you have the right to defend yourself by any means necessary.
Again 1), the Founders ruled the Jem'Hadar, 2), they created the Jem'Hadar. If the Jem'Hadar were wiped out, and the Founders were still at war with the Allies, the Founders would have raised up another army--with the experience of the previous battles to guide them. Thus, the Allies would be back to square one.

Starfleet was far inferior to the borg - there was no other realistic option to subdue the collective. The paradox was the federation's - and BILLIONS other beings' - ticket out of the grave. It was the only option to stop the collective, a genocidal army that continuously killed. It should have been used.
And the Founders were continuously paranoid and hateful of "solid" powers. They only stopped because they wanted Odo to return even more--and he made them an offer they couldn't refuse. In short, the Allies got lucky.

Again, billions upon billions of lives were at stake in the Dominion war, too.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote