View Single Post
Old May 2 2010, 11:52 AM   #189
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

Anwar wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
The borg already marked the Federation for assimilation.
They WILL COME no matter what the Federation does or doesn't do.
As for weapons to fight the borg - thousands of assimilated species stand testimony that they're hard to come by. The paradox is as good as they get. The Federation is very unlikely to find a better weapon no matter how long the borg postpone their invasion.
Those weapons they had in VOY's future finale say otherwise.
Those VOY finale weapons were ineffectual by comparison to the paradox.
How many cubes could be destroyed by those VOY finale torpedos before the borg adapt? A few thousand? The borg have MILLIONS OF CUBES!
The VOY finale weapons could only slow down - somewhat - the borg. The paradox could stop the collective once and for all.

The paradox was a godsend - if used it could have saved BILLIONS, it could have saved the Alpha Quadrant, the Federation itself! And yet, Picard didn't used it, condemning the galaxy to death and suffering beyond imagination. And you call this 'moral' - ridiculous.
You say I'm repeating myself when you do the same thing: The paradox was nothing, would've saved NO ONE and simply would've CAUSED billions to die.
Anwar:

Your opinion regarding the paradox means nothing by comparison to Picard/Data/crew/Starfleet's opinion.
Why? Because you know practically nothing regarding borg tech, as opposed to them.

Picard&co say the paradox has a very high chance of working? In this case, the paradox HAS this high chance of working.
You come with speculation that the paradox won't work simply because it's the only defense you can think of for your idols? Your affirmation is worthless.

And you know what the ironic part is?
When discussing the morality of Picard's choice, it doesn't even matter if the paradox would have objectively worked or not. This point you have been trying - and failing - to prove is irrelevent.

What matters is that PICARD WAS CONVINCED THE PARADOX WILL WORK. He DECIDED TO SACRIFICE BILLIONS so that he can delude himself that he's always moral.
In his subjective forum, PICARD INTENDED TO CONDEMN TO DEATH BILLIONS, when he WAS CERTAIN HE COULD SAVE THEM ALL, Anwar.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote