View Single Post
Old May 2 2010, 05:45 AM   #24
indolover
Fleet Captain

Re: So what was the deal with Robert Beltran?

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
indolover wrote: View Post
Beltran is an actor, and would have wanted his character to be well developed. the fact is it was not!

we never knew what tribe he came from. we never even knew who his mom was, or if she was still alive. And his native American heritage was one of the defining aspects of the character.

Chakotay's poor characterisation was one reason IMO why Voyager only was a good show, and not a great show like TNG and DS9.
that's a bit harsh, the great distance made visits by mom and dad as plot device difficult. it never crossed my mind to criticize ds9 and tng for not introducing me to o'brien's, jadzia's, and riker's moms. they had more serious issues. ds9 for example, a first officer constantly on the edge of a nervous breakdown. i liked the nice and quiet 1th of voyager a lot better.
But TNG and DS9 are the Trek TV series kings since in part they characterised all major characters well. In TNG, we know the basic backgrounds of Picard, Riker, Data, La Forge, Crusher, Troi, Worf, Wesley, Tasha Yar, etc. Even minor characters like O'Brien, Guinan, Barclay, etc. were developed to some degree.

In DS9, well this was the Trek king in terms of character development. All major and recurring characters had detailed backgrounds. In contrast, Voyager did not. This is what makes Voyager, IMO, the poor relation compared to TNG and DS9.

I enjoyed Voyager, since it had good storytelling, similar to TNG and DS9. However, it did not live up to its full potential.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote