View Single Post
Old April 30 2010, 08:53 PM   #68
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Sal'ira wrote: View Post
Hello, I'm Sal'ira. I contemplated whether or not I should post here. I have never actually seen Deep Space Nine. I have, though, read the the novelization of the very first episode, Emissary. I enjoyed it immensely and I hope to watch the whole series, once I'm able to purchase the DVDs. I must say, I was reluctant about Deep Space Nine because I am huge fan of Star Trek and The Next Generation. The latter is the reason I am a Trekkie. I found Emissary to be extremely refreshing and I loved the idea of Ferengi on the station. I was excited about the more constant appearances of Cardassian, as well, because they are my second favorite alien species. (Behind Vulcans, of course.) I have even looked up information about all the characters -it is very hard to wait, so I try to find all the information I can- and I was pleased with the discovery of Garak.

SyFy only shows The Next Generation and Enterprise, but hopefully in the near future, I will be able to watch Deep Space Nine. To all you long-time fans, is it as fantastic as I imagine it to be?
Yes it is, but not right away. Season 1 is not that great, the show was still establishing its own identity, and there are quite a few bad and average episodes, although there are also a few great ones, but even in the bad episodes, there are usually some great character moments. DS9 has really great characters, and no Trek show gives so much attention and character development to every main character, and a bunch of great recurring characters. Seasons 2 and 3 are much better, it's where the show started doing its own thing and established all the main story arcs, but they're still inconsistent (season 2 has a stretch of bad episodes in the middle, but also some awesome episodes and a stretch of excellent episodes at the end). The show keeps getting better, and from season 4 onward it is a lot more consistent and very exciting. Season 5 and a lot of season 6 are absolutely fantastic. I have some problems with season 7, but overall it is a very good ending to the show.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote