View Single Post
Old April 27 2010, 07:24 AM   #14
Luther Sloan
Captain

Re: My Trek Rankings By Season

Joeman wrote: View Post
Well, now I'm thinking that perhaps once I get through TOS, if that goes well, I'll at least give TAS a shot. Like you, I love Trek, so in a way it would kind of be a shame to not even give it a chance.
Joeman:

Yeah, TAS is definitely not going to be too many people's favorite. But it is interesting to see the different stories in TAS that the live action show might have tackled if it didn't get canceled.

Well the only access I'll have to it is whatever Netflix has. Honestly, I didn't even know it had been remastered with revamped special effects. That's wild. I hope that's what Netflix has.
Yeah, that's how I first originally watched the majority of them before I started purchasing them. So to answer your question... yes. Netflix has the Remastered Version of Star Trek. In fact, I do believe it is the only version they have that I am aware of. You can confirm this in the Member Reviews section for each of the TOS DVD Seasons. Also, I think you will enjoy the enhanced special effects. They use CGI for a lot of the exterior shots of the starships, the planets, phaser fire, and strange alien phenomenon. Sometimes they will do CGI shots of a futuristic city in the background on a planet, too. They also cleaned up the picture's color / quality and the sound. They even re-scored the main theme song with a new identical voice artist in order to record it in true 5.1 digital surround sound.

I haven't seen the entire series since sometime around the early 80's. It was quite a shock to try and watch when I tried most recently, especially after watching the four modern series. I'll try and keep your tricks in mind when I do watch it (I chuckled at the "futuristic version of the 1960's"- that's good). I really do think I'm going to really enjoy it this time around.
Ha, ha, ha... I am glad that you found my reference to TOS as being futuristic version of the 1960's humorous. Whatever works for you in sticking with it, I know it will be well worth your time, my friend. Oh, and like you: I watched Star Trek: The Original Series in the early 80's, as well. I was a little kid then and had truly fond memories in watching them. However, years later I couldn't get into it after becoming a TNG fan, though. However, as you know, that has all changed now and I have come full circle in loving TOS again.

However, if your still not sure about TOS and you want to start off with a bang with the Original Series, I would watch the following episodes (below) out of the 2nd Season to start....

Doomsday Machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivO7K2zYII

Mirror, Mirror: (The First Mirror Universe Episode)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHwvZ6HmQQI

The Trouble With Tribbles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utsDOD8FDk

Last edited by Luther Sloan; April 27 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote