View Single Post
Old April 26 2010, 04:19 PM   #52
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Re: was ezri right in Tacking into the Wind - are Klingons hypocrites?

Gagarin wrote: View Post
After watching-through 80 percent of TNG, I had this striking thought:

Worf, having grown up AWAY from Klingons, only knowing ... really ... of his people through what he can study, read, etc at first... has sooooo high ideals, that I wonder if it's like a human trying to understand his culture by reading the Holy Bible and base their life, their understanding how things should be, all on a face-value reading of trying to replicate life as an Ancient-Near-East person. The problem would be this person exists in the 21st century and no one would have a clue what the Year Of Jubilee is, nor would he find The Temple, or the Ark Of The Convanent - or any Levitical Priests laying around.

I often wondered if your average, every-day, non-Starship commander Klingon, would look at Worf and say "What the hell are you talking about? You've read too many story books about us."

So, yes Klingons are hypocrits, because everyone is, but I wonder if Worf keeps trying to compare reality to an idealized existence that everyone else but him is in touch doesn't exist. Worf is a romantic, if there was one.

Also, as far as honor goes, and prisoners/no prisoners/not stabbing in back, etc... I wonder if part of what we experience is Klingon's changing views of humans/Federation. It could be that they were so thought down upon that they were not warriors, nor deserving or capable of honor, and were to be treated accordingly. They were devious and conniving. Humans were pests. Over the course of time this changed, somewhat.
I have the same problem with people who hold up Spock as a perfect example of a Vulcan when he's half human.

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
I view the paradise of Earth as only rationally being brought about by a free, capitalist society, despite latter-day perversion by alleged "progressives"--however, I DO see potential validity in her argument.
Right, a free society only made possible with virtually unlimited land, energy and resources, where everyone's food, housing, medical and educational needs are met by the state.

It's a total fantasy universe, it has nothing to do with modern political or economic principles, including what you think of as capitalism or conservatism or anything else you'd like to imagine.