View Single Post
Old April 25 2010, 04:54 AM   #64
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Unspoken Truth - Discussion (Spoilers)

Sky wrote: View Post
That is one aspect of Saavik I really identified with, as a matter of fact. When I was a kid, I was extremely literal-minded (still am, somewhat, I'm an Aspie after all). I remember being told that lying is wrong, so I never did it, and I understood lying as "telling something else than the whole truth". I did not know that some truths were best left unspoken, if you will. Got me in trouble when my French teacher got it in her head to ask me if I enjoyed her class and after that if I liked her as a person... I was 9 years old and answered truthfully, after which she complained to my parents, who then tried to explain to me the idea behind diplomacy and polite non-answers!

I used to be very literal minded too. And my grandmother learned not to tell a 7 year old to stop being so smart without the proper context. I didn't kinow there were different meanings to the word smart at the time. heh