Thread: Shuttlecraft
View Single Post
Old April 24 2010, 02:56 AM   #8
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Shuttlecraft

James Wright wrote: View Post
Gentlemen(snicker), you're forgetting about the Romulan Bird of Prey seen in TOS episode "Balance of Terror", it had nacelles but was only capable of moving at impulse.
In TOS episode "The Menagerie" if the shuttlecraft had been warp capable why didn't it over take the Enterprise? As it is the shuttle used so much fuel trying to catch the Enterprise it didn't have enough fuel to return to Starbase 11.
Was there any mention of a shuttle's speed in either of these episodes "The Menagerie" or " The Galileo Seven"?
Thank you,

James
Actually I don't recall there being any reference to speed in either episode. But, we do know that the Enterprise was traveling at warp speed while being pursed by the shuttle. Sure, it wasn't caught by the shuttle, but the shuttle did keep up for a good long while. Gots to have a warp drive to keep up with a warp driven starship. "Galileo Seven" doesn't say otherwise (as far as I can remember right now) but it's implied that the shuttle was very far away from the Enterprise when it got lost. Let's not forget "metamorphosis" where Kirk, Spock and McCoy are flying Commissioner Hedford to some far away place in a shuttlecraft. Obviously they were warp-speed distances away from the mothership.

--Alex