View Single Post
Old April 18 2010, 02:35 PM   #57
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Unspoken Truth - Discussion (Spoilers)

KingstonTrekker wrote: View Post
Another unsettling aspect of the book...is that Saavik is really presented as pretty much an adopted daughter of Sarek and Amanda. Which makes her more of a sister to Spock...which makes what happened on Genesis more than a bit disturbing...not even mentioning that in other books Saavik and Spock later married!

I know that MWB did not write the scene on Genesis or the earlier books (by Sherman and Schwartz) that depict the marriage...and Unspoken Truth is not required to adhere to previous Trek literature plot points....but depicting Saavik so strongly as an adopted daughter of Sarek and Amanda just makes the whole Saavik/Spock dynamic incredibly incestuous.

Makes me wish that Schwartz and Sherman had found a different wife for Spock, rather than Saavik. Also makes me wish that MWB had not connected Saavik so strongly to Sarek and Amanda (although I realize that other books have previously done this as well.)
MWB's portrayal of Amanda was one of the things I liked about this book. For once Amanda is seen as something more than "Sarek's Human Wife" or "Spock's Human Mother."

(Personally, I never bought into the Spock-Saavik bonding in Vulcan's Heart.)
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote