View Single Post
Old April 14 2010, 11:21 AM   #23
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: was ezri right in Tacking into the Wind - are Klingons hypocrites?

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
do you want to say religions are beneficial? 'false profits', two ferengi set themselves up as gods on a primitive planet to benefit no one but themselves. the bajorans, setting up some sort of wormhole aliens as gods, and claiming they want bajor to live in an oppressive cast society. i don't see any benefits other than for the members of the high castes, and those who claim their power to decide the fate of bajor is given to them by the prophets. centuries ago, the bajorans were more advanced then humans, but while humans threw all that trash overboard and established the federation, bajor remained trapped in a dark age, and became an easy prey for an aggressive species.
if starfleet has nothing but contempt for the pointless mumbojumbo which religions are, i certainly agree.
If religion does nothing but trap people in a "dark age" where they remain technological inferior and weak, why are Klingons, who maintain their religion into the 24th century, more technologically adept and stronger militarily in the 22nd century than are Humans.

After all, by the 22nd century, Humans had supposed dropped all that "trash." Yet, a society that retains its religion is stronger. Weird.

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Show me where they stopped them from practicing said religion.
I never said Starfleet kept the Bajorans from practicing the religion. However, many Starfleet officers often looked down and ridiculed the practice. The most striking example is when Dax flat out ridicules Sisko's faith in The Reckoning.