View Single Post
Old April 6 2010, 10:51 PM   #34
Shaw
Commodore

Re: HP's competition for the iPad!

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Microsoft's attempts at vendor lock-in are pretty piss-poor, in my opinion. Windows Activation aside--because it is so easily bypassed--Microsoft doesn't control what software can and can't run on Windows. They don't require you to purchase a license from them to develop Windows software, and so forth.

Any Linux or BSD flavor would, of course, be preferable for commodity PC hardware if you really want to avoid even the appearance of vendor lock-in.
I haven't used Windows for years, but from what I've read about how Microsoft treats users and developers on Windows, I'm surprised (shocked) that you would use such a platform.

To my knowledge, Apple (nor any other computer/software company) can hold a candle to the things that Microsoft has both attempted and/or accomplished. And I've personally seen Microsoft bare down on people for software piracy who weren't even using Microsoft products.

But I'm curious... you seem to be holding Apple's standards for iPhone/iPad development up against Windows rather than something like the Xbox. I don't know about Windows, but I can write software for a Mac without paying a single cent. On the other hand, I don't see the Xbox as an open (license free) system for development.

Heck, I could actually start development of Mac software on a Linux or BSD system using GNUstep as a foundation as GNUstep was originally based on the OpenStep Specifications, which in turn are what Cocoa APIs (used in both Mac and iPhone environments) are based on.

So are you holding Apple to a higher standard than Microsoft? I mean shouldn't there be just one standard for everything?

It is funny... Apple is just some company, and really doesn't have the ability to effect anyone's lives if those people don't want it to. Microsoft has it's hands in nearly every aspect of our world (and by world, I mean most countries). Microsoft is much like the banks that were too big to fail... no matter what, the world couldn't survive if Microsoft disappeared at this point.

Literally, Apple doesn't know anything about vender lock-in compared to Microsoft, and Microsoft has been willing at times to pay multi-million dollar fines daily to protect that lock-in. I've seen Apple do some bad things... but they are still amateurs at lock-in.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote