View Single Post
Old April 4 2010, 06:12 PM   #75
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online: The Needs of the Many - Discussion (Spoilers)

That kind of directive is one worth being disobeyed, if that were the case.

As for Jake, that would actually be very poor journalistic integrity there. Going for sensationalism and ratings rather than the truth is against every ethic of the profession and really WOULD put him down with the bottom-feeding reality TV hucksters rather than making him a real reporter. If his goal was to portray what Federation soldiers were like, he should've interviewed enough to get a balanced picture. (Then again, considering where "journalistic integrity" is in the 21st century, I think it's too much to expect that ANY inkling of the concept will be left by the 24th.)

AND I just thought of something else. It's actually very much out of character for Jake. He seemed to have a lot more respect for soldiers than that, both the people he was raised with, and those he encountered in "Nor the Battle to the Strong."

But if the authorial intent is to imply that the psychos ARE the typical soldier and that Jake DID somehow do his due diligence...then that says more about the author and editor than anything else by FAR.