View Single Post
Old April 3 2010, 08:09 PM   #36
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: Shyamalan talks about AIRBENDER's "racebending" issues

Christopher wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
And, I didn't know Spock was Italian...I thought he was Vulcan?

And Uhura is African-American? (I thought she was [I]African?)
I'm referring to the actors, not the characters. Leonard Nimoy is from a Ukrainian Jewish family, while Zachary Quinto is of Italian-Irish heritage. Nichelle Nichols was born to a Chicago-area family, while Zoe Saldana is of Dominican and Puerto Rican parentage (though she was born in New Jersey). The point I'm making is that the same character can be played by actors with different ethnicities from one another.
Yes, Christopher...I am aware of the actor's backgrounds....

I was being sarcastic in my previous post...

So, I guess my point is, there are still strides to be made....
And I agree with that completely. Remember, up until last week, I was one of this BBS's most vocal protestors of the Last Airbender casting, because it looked to me like it was the result of unfair and ethnically biased hiring practices. But Shyamalan's explanation of the casting process, and Zack Stentz's words corroborating how difficult it is to meet a goal of casting inclusively, have reassured me that, while the results in TLA may not be as ethnically diverse as we'd hoped, at least it doesn't seem to be the result of active bias in this particular case. I'm all for continuing the fight for inclusion, but going after the wrong people just wastes effort.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough....
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote