View Single Post
Old March 31 2010, 02:17 PM   #91
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Re: long waits on Netflix

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I have a feeling a lot of those internet-less Americans are super old.
Yes because 40% of the country is super old.

It has to do with the fact that 25% of American live in poverty and many live in the middle of nowhere.
I'm not debating that, but there are still plenty of super old people who refuse to get computers, let alone the internet. I encounter them all the time. Nowhere did I say that all of the 40% were super old, just that a bunch of them probably are.

Here's a shocker -- there are a lot of people, who aren't old, who don't have cell phones or even televisions. And no, I'm not talking the Amish. And I won't comment further on your lack of life experience.

Anyway, the upcoming Post Office restructuring is going to impact Netflix:

Netflix is the big loser in Postal Service changes

Company faces hard choice if Saturday delivery service is eliminated

In the face of naysayers who have long predicted its demise, Netflix has had a remarkable few years. In 2005, the Los Gatos, Calif.-based DVD rental service boasted 4.2 million subscribers and enjoyed net earnings of $41.9 million. Last year, the company netted $115.9 million, and its bright red envelopes made their way into the homes of 12.3 million subscribers nationwide. The company's NASDAQ-listed stock price tripled in that period. 2010 is shaping up to be another stellar year. On Feb. 25 of this year, Netflix enjoyed a red-envelope day of sorts: It surpassed former industry leader Blockbuster in movie rental revenue for the first time. Meanwhile, as mom-and-pop rental stores close up shop and Blockbuster enters a period of major retrenchment (the Dallas-based company recently announced plans to close 500 stores), Netflix's subscriber base looks set to expand.
Netflix is in many ways the epitome of the 21st century company: It's based in Silicon Valley, it sells its services exclusively online, and it employs a hip bit of Web-speak in its name. But even as it boasts many of the trappings of a New Economy juggernaut, Netflix is still almost entirely reliant on that most 19th century of institutions: the United States Postal Service. Indeed, Netflix is the Postal Service’s biggest corporate customer.
More details in the article.

Last edited by John Picard; March 31 2010 at 02:47 PM.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote