View Single Post
Old March 26 2010, 02:27 PM   #155
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions What Are Yours?

canadaboy_32 wrote: View Post
Penta wrote: View Post
3. Utopia bores me. If I could go back in time, I'd do my damnedest to try to convince the TNG writing staff how the whole "Federation as Utopia" and "moneyless economy" ideas of S1 are so bad for storytelling that, regardless of their source, they need to be ejected.
I agree with this statement.

Any good dramatic series needs conflict. DS9 had it the best example of dramatic Trek. During the war, the Starfleet officers had to choose between their morals and complete annihilation.

No one (or almost no one) wants to watch a show where everything is perfect and characters laud their morals over the viewer.
I don't agree with this at all. If you want a crappy Earth future, there are plenty of scifi books/movies that depict just that.

Not too many of them depict a future that is bright. And that bright future TOS depicts is one of the reasons sited time after time by fans of the original show as to why they liked it. Its probably the reason why after all these spinoffs TOS is still the most recognized of all the other shows combined..its not even close.

Count me in that catagory.

But I can understand those who don't like that utopian aspect of the show.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote