View Single Post
Old March 24 2010, 09:48 PM   #33
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun
Re: Is there a lack of creativity in NuBSG Costumes and culture Lack

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
B5 had it's own contemporary touch with those loud collarless shirts that were popular in the 90s. I got the impression that that's where they thought style was trending though.
You can't avoid contemporary elements seeping into a show (or movie) it will inevitably break the fourth wall a little in revealing when it was made. You can only envision the future imperfectly - it'll nearly always become what you did'nt expect. Fourteen or fifteen years later, I don't think its showing its age except perhaps in the limitations of special effects and that's the last think I'm inclined to worry about - the effects can always be remastered down the line (and really annoy everybody).
We might be able to improve the costumes using digital editing down the line (even animating photorealisitic people to add new scenes and series).

If you've ever seen UFO, the old ITC series, it's idea of future business suits was not a million miles away from the idea adopted by Bab5 - it was the shade of brown used for most and the cut of the suits that gave away its 70's-ness, Bab5 suits do have a tell-tale slight sharpness that gives away its 90's origins.
Both don't make my believability slip half as much as the business suits in NuBSG tho.