View Single Post
Old March 24 2010, 04:36 AM   #99
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions What Are Yours?

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Hell no! NO, NO, and NO! Would you start reading a novel from the middle?
George Lucas did it to us with Star Wars. We started off watching A New Hope (Episode 4), and it was a smash it.
That's not in any way similar and you know it. Star Wars (now called New Hope) was the first "chapter of the novel". It introduced the characters. It started the story. Lucas just went back a few decades later and made some inferior prequels.

(Not to mention that the SW prequels are awful, while seasons 2 and 3 of DS9 most certainly aren't. And even season 1 is not nearly that bad, certainly not so much to be compared to Phantom Menace...)

Yes. There is a lot of great back story information and things that are set up from the beginning. However, a lot of the episodes in the beginning are more like a slow moving drama with characters that haven't been fleshed out yet. So if there is someone who had a hard time getting into Deep Space Nine in the first place: This is what I would recommend. Plus, most people like faster paced story lines, too. So if it is someone who has never seen the show either. I would still recommend in watching it this way.
I would not.

One of the greatest things about DS9 is following the characters and their development from season 1 to season 7. It's not like TOS where you can just pick any episode out of order and watch it.

So many of the greatest DS9 episodes are from the first 3 seasons. When I see someone saying that the show doesn't get "good" until season 3, 4 or even 5, and that you should just watch the war, I find it really mind-boggling.
Well, that is a matter of opinion. I did like a few episodes in season 3 but they didn't come close to the awesomeness of seasons 4-7 in my book.
Duet
In the Hands of the Prophets
Necessary Evil
The Maquis
The Wire
The Jem'Hadar/The Search
Second Skin
The House of Quark
Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast

These are some of the most awesome episodes of DS9 in my book. Duet is in fact still my #1, and Necessary Evil and Second Skin are in my top 5 or 6 episodes.

Also, Crossover is the only decent Mirror Universe episode DS9 produced (even though I have some problems with it as well) - while the later ones got more and more awful.

Side Note:

Oh, by the way. What did you think of the Deep Space Nine Trailer?
Very well done, exciting, well paced, presents many of the show's themes very well... although it's a bit too focused on Sisko.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote