View Single Post
Old March 24 2010, 02:27 AM   #93
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions What Are Yours?

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Sky wrote: View Post
  • I still haven't managed to get interested enough in DS9 to see all the episodes

Deep Space Nine is by far one of my top favorite well written TV shows in general. It is also my all time favorite science fiction show, too.
Agreed on this one...

The first 3 seasons are a little rough to start; but Season's 4-7 are really phenomenal, though. So if you have caught very little of of Deep Space Nine, I would suggest watching it like this (to begin with)...

1. Deep Space Nine Episode Titled "The Adversary"
(Season 3, Disc 7)

Watch the last episode on disc titled "The Adversary" only, and skip past the other episode titled "Facets" on the disc. Then watch...

2. Deep Space Nine Seasons 4-7
Hell no! NO, NO, and NO!

Would you start reading a novel from the middle?

DS9 should only be watched from the start. There are quite a few bad and average episodes in season 1, and most of the season does not contain important plots and feels like TNG-lite, and one could skip at least about a half of season 1. But there is still too very important character development, and are still a few indispensable episodes in season 1. Watching DS9 has to begin with Emissary. And Duet is without any doubt one of the greatest DS9 episodes, it is still my favorite. In the Hands of the Prophets is another one not to be missed. From there on (the end of season 1), the show becomes very good IMO, and seasons 2 and 3 are excellent despite a few clunkers here and there (but which Trek season doesn't have those?).

So many of the greatest DS9 episodes are from the first 3 seasons. When I see someone saying that the show doesn't get "good" until season 3, 4 or even 5, and that you should just watch the war, I find it really mind-boggling.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote