View Single Post
Old March 21 2010, 07:34 PM   #65
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: Introducing myself properly.

I don't see religion among humans as dead. Decreased in adherence, yes. Even your most devout crewmember aboard a 24th century ship is going to be less devout, by our terms, than the same person might be today. But I do not see the traditional human religions as dead. Hence, I still believe Starfleet could have chaplains, possibly posted to starbases (with lay leaders handling day to day stuff, like aboard USN subs today).
I agree completely. Just because we haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's completely gone. I mean, Chakotay is obviously a spiritual, I'd even say religious, man. And we know, thanks to Enterprise, that Human religions are still around at least by the mid-22nd century.

May be absolutely heretical to think of Starfleet being so militaristic
I don't see why. Starfleet has always been shown to be the armed forces of the Federation. I can accept that military action isn't the primary job of Starfleet, but they are, in the end, the military.

Even I waffle about ground forces. But I'm willing to submit they might exist.
I agree that they exist. The Siege of AR-558 shows that, IMO.

I am, at heart, a deep skeptic of the "evolved humanity" idea of TNG. In my personal canon, humans have not evolved.

They're still, at heart, the same humans we know and...deal with...in our time. They're examples of a possible future. But nothing's really changed in our psychology or sociology.
Again I agree. I believe Humans are only "evolved" because they live in a land of plenty. I think a quote from Quark, from The Siege of AR-558, shows it best....

"Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people – as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts... deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers... put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time... and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people will become as nasty and violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces, look at their eyes..."

States will always act according to the interest. People have morality...But not organizations.
Exactly. Which is why I believe the Federation should have an agency like Section 31. I loved the introduction of 31.

I was happy when Sisko did what he did in "In the pale moonlight", and Section 31 made me cheer.

Because to me, it represented something special. Trek was losing its naivete.
To me In The Pale Moonlight, along with DS9: Inquistion and VOY: The Omega Directive, showed that Trek was finally leaving behind the dewey-eyed optimism of TOS and TNG, which I think was a major improvment.