View Single Post
Old March 17 2010, 10:49 PM   #40
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Are you planning to make the kickbacks on the sides of the helm console? I believe that the helm/nav console and the turbolifts were the only parts of the original set that were salvaged after ST IV -- as most of it was damaged after TNG stored the movie bridge outside during a rainstorm that destroyed it.

Anyway, the kickbacks are pretty easy to make if you have access to a compound mitre saw. Set the saw at 30 degrees X-axis and 30 degrees y-axis and saw a 2 x 2 piece of lumber into two equal sized pieces about 6 to 8 inches long. Be careful when making this cut! Make sure you know where the blade will end up when you saw it so you don't lop off a finger or two! The other side of the 2 x 2 should be a straight 90 degree cut.

These become the front edge of the console wing and can be screwed right into the side of the console you've already built. Make a corresponding part for the back of the console that vaguely looks like a "7" and fill in the rest of the parts with the paneling to skin it. You can fill in the cracks with putty and paint it. It really finishes off the set nicely.

It took me forever to figure out how to make them, so if you can use this knowledge, have at it. Hopefully, my diagram will help!

Steve

Melonpool is offline   Reply With Quote