View Single Post
Old March 14 2010, 10:01 PM   #61
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Nerys, I don't think your theory is half crazy. I always thought Dukat had potential.
It's far from crazy. I also think he had some good qualities and potential to be a good person - which makes it all the worse and sadder that he actually was what he was... "What is it that makes a man a man? Is it his origins, the way things start? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them. "

And apparently even Ron Moore agrees:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dukat
"I don't think of him as being completely evil through and through to the point where every thought, every impulse is shaded by a nefarious agenda or horrid motive. We've seen other aspects to this guy over the years. He can be charming. He can be generous. He can do the right thing. All of that somehow makes his "evil" actions all the more despicable, because we know that there was the potential in there for him to be a better person. But sometimes the clichés are true: Hitler loved his dog. No human being (and by extension, no Cardassian) is one hundred percent pure evil. But there is a "critical mass", if you will, where the dark deeds attributed to one person become so overwhelming that they swamp all the redeeming characteristics. Dukat is a bad guy. A very bad guy. He has a lot of blood on his hands and it's hard to see how his smile and innate charm can wipe that clean." (AOL chat, 1998)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote