View Single Post
Old March 10 2010, 09:41 PM   #1808
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Herbert wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Herbert wrote: View Post
]Star Trek has a long history of casting Hispanics as Native Americans. Robert Beltram as Chakotay and Henry Darrow as Kalopek being examples.
Robert Beltran is part-Native American.
Is he Mayan? Should it really matter what actor is hired for the role unless racial, ethnic, religious, or cultural discrimination had a role in the hiring process?
You seem to be confusing nationality with ethnicity. Christopher is more than able to speak for himself, but IIRC, when JJ Abrams Star' Trek movie was being cast, he was among those who didn't have a problem with an actor with Korean ancestry playing Sulu, with a Kiwi playing Bones, with an Englishman playing Scotty or an American playing Uhura (forgive me if I'm wrong on this Christopher). As was I. Because it's not that hard for someone from one ethnic race to play someone from the same ethnic race, even if the nationality is different. You generally just need to get the accent right.

On the other hand, it is extremely difficult for someone from one ethnic race to play someone from a different race and the results are generally offensive to people whose race is being impersonated. The infamous 'Black and White Minstrel Show', 'Amos and Andy', Mickey Rooney's Japanese caricature in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Alec Guinness in A Passage To India - these are just some examples of how wrong the results usually are.

If you can name me one instance of an caucasian actor convincingly playing a black or asian character, I'd be surprised.