View Single Post
Old March 6 2010, 08:35 PM   #764
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
Suffice it to say that Lennier's account is a simplification.
And more to the point, there is a much more scientific explanation to be deduced later on. I don't believe in souls either, but once you get the whole story, it'll make sense.

I do, on the other hand. And one thing I enjoyed about Babylon 5 is that not only did it take faith and it being an important, powerful force seriously, but the idea that we are more than bodies seriously as well.

And that it didn't feel the need to come up with some technobabble "explanation" for everything. There are mysteries.

That's it.

Reverend wrote: View Post
At this stage, the point is that this is what the Grey Council believed. To the Minbari, souls are very real and absolutely CENTRAL to their beliefs that informs their view of the entire universe (you'll hear about that later) so it's something they take VERY seriously, even if most humans think it's utterly ludicrous.
I wouldn't say "most". I'd say the view on the matter of souls among humans varied greatly, depending on who you talk to. Kinda like how it is, here and now in our present times.

Kegg wrote: View Post

A minority opinion perhaps, but there wasn't really a point in the series where I ever came around to accepting Sheridan as a replacement for Sinclair, and I wasn't even a big fan of Sinclair to begin with.
I did, because all those things you mention are surface things. When it came down to the meat of the characters, especially as we got to know Sheridan and the details of both his background and who he was, he was quite different from Sinclair.

The only real similarities, besides their "hero" statuses from the war was that they both had no problem bucking the authorities if they thought it was the right thing and/or suited the mission.

Other than that, their personalities and interpersonal styles, totally different. Further, how the Minbari and Earth regarded them, polar opposites.

BTW, the idea of both of them having a friend in the staff of B5 is a little much to pick on. The military is a small world and you WILL run into people you know, again and again. Further, you will run into people who know well the people you know.

Happens to me all the time.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Revelations (***)

After watching this episode it really reinforces how Points of Departure put everything on hold in order to introduce Sheridan because all four plots from Chrysalis (G'Kar searching for something, Delenn in her cocoon, Garibaldi in a coma and the assassination of the Earth President) come into play here. All these plots are interesting on some level but none of them are all that shocking, at least not for me. G'Kar coming to the realisation that there's another race, an evil one that threatens them all, is important but it's not a huge revelation for me because I've known about the Shadows for years. I don't know what they are or why they're returning, but this episode didn't delve into any of that.

Then there's the revelation that President Clark may have been complicit in the death of President Santiago as some sort of power grab by the Psi Corps, but even that wasn't a surprise. They made a point in Chrysalis to mention that VP Clark left the Presidential tour for health reasons, so that raised a red flag right there, and we were warned back in season 1 that the Psi Corps want political control. The final revelation, that Delenn has become half-human, or something, also wasn't shocking because I've seen pictures of her looking like that for a long time. I was hoping for a bit more than her changing appearance, although there will probably be more to it than that in the future.

One thing I really enjoyed about this episode was the Sheridan plot about mourning his wife two years after her death, it was one of those moments where I clicked with the character and, godsdamnit, I felt a little emotional. I really enjoyed this plot... right up until the point where his sister gives him a recording of his wife that says everything he has wanted to hear for two years. It was a complete Get Out of Jail Free card and it nearly ruined all the good stuff that came before. Life doesn't let us off the hook like that two years after losing someone we care about, no, life prefers to rip our heads off and defecate down our throats.

By the way, I received an email from my ex of two years yesterday. She wants to know if we can be friends again. Isn't that nice?

Gods, I hate my life sometimes.

Scott Bakula: 19

I'd say, based on my own life, life does a little of both. But you need both to grow. As for Sheridan...keep watching.

Last edited by Neroon; March 6 2010 at 08:55 PM.
stonester1 is offline   Reply With Quote