View Single Post
Old March 6 2010, 03:31 PM   #762
Rear Admiral
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

One thing I didn't like about "Points of Departure" is to the extent John Sheridan was a very unsubtly reworked version of Jeffrey Sinclair. Granted, it wasn't the first time JMS had to scramble to replace an actor with a very similar character - there were no less than four instances of that in the first season alone; and suspiciously both first officers had a thing for bending the rules to plant fresh coffee. But Sinclair wasn't a guy who appeared in the pilot or an episode or two, he was the lead character of the show for a whole year.

And what do we get? Well, Jeffrey Sinclair, the lead character in a show by Joe Straczynski, is replaced by John Sheridan. Sinclair has a history with Garibaldi, Sheridan has a history with Ivanova. Sinclair was a hero of the last stand of the Minbari War, Sheridan won the only successful battle of that war. And so on - he even looks like a younger, fresher-faced Sinclair.

A minority opinion perhaps, but there wasn't really a point in the series where I ever came around to accepting Sheridan as a replacement for Sinclair, and I wasn't even a big fan of Sinclair to begin with.

The other thing was something JMS of course could not avoid; Lennier dropping the Battle of the Line plot abruptly, ignominiously and with reams of dialogue. With Sinclair exiting stage left it no longer really has the significance it once did.
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote