View Single Post
Old February 28 2010, 03:11 AM   #57
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
I'm more a fan of Ziyal than of Cardassians or Bajorans in general. With her history, she could've been a real mess, but instead she turned out strong and artistic and, as you said, nice. I enjoyed the relationship between her and Kira.
Me too.

I have this half-crazy theory about Ziyal's personality and her choices, too...and why Dukat couldn't bear to kill her. It's my belief that Dukat's personality actually could've ended up a lot like hers, if he hadn't made all the wrong choices, used all the tired old excuses, and twisted himself into the monster he became. You get flashes of it when Ziyal's around, of the "old personality," but he never can shake off his self-delusions and take responsibility for himself.

But for just moments at a time, I feel like Dukat was seeing a reflection of who he could have become and now could never truly touch.

(I would PM you this next part, but seeing as you don't have PM capability yet, I'll go ahead and tell you that I explore an alter-Dukat in my fanfic, specifically in the Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius subseries.)