View Single Post
Old February 26 2010, 01:34 AM   #250
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
You'd have to be an idiot to believe the kid was really dead in the middle of the movie.
I don't see why; the mystery revolves around what else was going on, and the other explanation offered for what happened makes perfect sense (in some ways, more sense than the ultimate one).

Other reviews:

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths - the latest of the Bruce Timm-produced direct-to-DVD animated DC films, this is also unique in that it's a rewritten version of the long-delayed Justice League: Worlds Collide, which was meant to be a bridge film between the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series. Outside that context, some parts of the film no longer seem to serve much purpose, lingering like vestigial limbs; the origin of Diana's invisible plane is fine, but the ending with the membership drive feels superfluous. Great action scenes, many fairly imaginative (Wonder Woman's fights incorporate Greek martial arts, for example); some characters likewise feel a bit superfluous (Flash and especially Green Lantern, and even Superman to an extent, are in the background). James Woods makes a fantastic Owlman. J'onn romancing AU-Ravager was creepy.

B+

Doctor Zhivago - the last film I see before turning my laptop computer in to FutureShop for a few days to get its Blu-Ray player fixed (it stumbles with Blu-Ray 2 disks for some reason), this is one of the cultural touchstones of 1960s cinema, David Lean's famously long adaptation of a semi-autobiographical Boris Pasternak novel. Some people really loved this (well, a lot; it's the eighth-highest grossing film of all-time), critics have been more divided. Overall, I liked it, but I didn't love it.

It looks great, to be sure (Lean knew his way around a camera), and gathers a respectable cast of actors who do good work. But there's not a huge amount of story (or rather, narrative thrust) for a film this long, and the parting of Zhivago and Lara depends entirely on him being a total idiot; combined with his later death being so melodramatic, I had a hard time feeling much sympathy for him. Seriously, dude, I love Canada, but if it ever degenerated into a hellhole where the government is out for my blood and my family was living safely elsewhere, I'm gone (particularly because he doesn't really seem to want to stay in Russia to do anything in particular).

The most relatable character turns out to be Komerovsky, who is a total bastard, but is the only person onscreen with much sense. Alec Guinness is good in his part, though his narration is so infrequent it's almost jarring whenever he starts doing it (though I really liked how a conversation between him and Zhivago was filmed as he was narrating; we never hear Guinness actually say anything in the 'past', just the narration saying things like "so I told him", followed by Zhivago's responses). Julie Christie makes Lara a really believable character.

B

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote