Gone Baby Gone [A+]

Theatre:

Precious [A]
Invictus [ B]
A Single Man [B-]
Crazy Heart [A-]
A Serious Man [A-]
The Last Station [A-]

The movie that finally earned Christopher Plummer an Oscar nomination (as well as a fourth for Helen Mirren), centred on the final months of Count Leo Tolstoy, the great Russian novelist and philosopher. It's based on a novel that I read earlier this year, which was also pretty good, and got me to finally read War and Peace (I'm 800 pages in at the moment; though the movie also spoils the endiing of Anna Karenina). Anyway, it's a pretty good adaptation; they focus in more on James McAvoy's character as the viewpoint (the novel had an epistolary format with six or seven narrators chapter-by-chapter; the others are still here in the film, but they're just supporting characters), including putting him in a few places the historical Bulgakov wasn't. Mild stuff by biopic standards. Poor James McAvoy seems fated to always play the viewpoint character in period dramas as a gateway to other characters who get all the Oscar nominations (as in The Last King of Scotland). McAvoy's real-life wife is also in the movie, though, funnily enough, not as his love interest. The real fireworks are with the Tolstoys (you can see why they got those Oscar nominations). The movie's a bit more direct in taking sides in the battle between Sofya and Chertkov, and I think they rather sell him short; while the movie is willing to acknowledge the social justice issues at the heart of Tolstoy's movement, at the end of the day it's on Sofya's side, when Chertkov's big crime is to be more concerned with doing something about Russia's grotesque social problems than keeping Tolstoy's family in their ginormous mansion.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; February 23 2010 at 03:55 AM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote